Friday, March 9, 2012

Spoiled . . . my dogs?!

Some of you may know that we have two mastiffs, Molly and Diesel, who are 160 and 120 lbs. respectively so when they want to cuddle in bed with you, well, there's not much room for you.  We also have Hannah, our rescue dog, who chews everything up, including dog beds.  After buying several dog beds from stores that got ripped up, I was at my wits end.   We needed to try something new.

I was at a thrift store recently and saw these two kids beds and I thought, why not?  The dogs needed their own beds and maybe we could train them to stay out of ours completely, so I bought them and brought them home.


I went to a thrift store and bought two used crib mattresses and was ready to cover them.  I knew sheets would get ripped up immediately so I went with something I swear by . . . painters drop cloths.  They are sturdy and very durable but will soften up when you wash them. 
And even more important, it is the one thing Hannah does not chew on.  I use them for all kinds of things and will show you some other DIY projects made with them later on.   I buy them at Home Depot and the off-white/linen color is one of my favorites.  They are about $10.00 for a 6'x9'.


I needed to make the covers for the mattresses removable so I could wash them regularly so  I simply covered the mattress and sewed one seam so you could push the mattress through it, like a tube, then simply folded the ends like wrapping a present, and added Velcro across the end.




After I got the covers done, I thought I would be really clever and put MOLLY on one and DIESEL and HANNAH on the other with stencils.  I started Molly's first and because I was so worried about spacing and lining them up straight, I put MOO instead of MOL!  Then I was stuck and didn't know what to do so I told my daughter about my mistake and she laughed (of course) and told me to just put OINK on the other since I live on a farm and people will think it was supposed to be like that.

Here are  my finished dog beds - MOO and OINK



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment