Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Welcome to our Home

Well, I've shown you the outside of the house and our moving day, now I can show you the inside.  I love mixing old and new pieces together and as I mentioned before, love flea market and estate sales so in viewing the house, I'll point out the some bargains along the way.

 In the kitchen we had to take everything out and start fresh.  The island is a dresser we bought at a thrift store and made into an island, the brown cabinet in the corner was bought at an auction and the hoosier belonged to my great-grandmother.  That's a story for another day.  My husband bartered the granite for our countertops with a guy that needed work on his boat.  Love that!

We fell in love with these really old doors so we bought them and built two identical pantries for the kitchen.  When I say "we" built them, I mean Fred and his guys at work.
 Lack of storage is always a problem in old houses.  The bench under the windows was bought at a thrift store.  I painted it and added pillows.  Notice the guns in the corner.  Now that's country.


I made the pillows for these chairs on the porch from material I bought in Paris.  The two large milk cans came from a flea market in Germany and I found the small one at the local flea market.

This built-in cabinet in the dining room is a good place to store quilts and an old camera collection along with some dishes.  The wood birds on top of the cabinet were bought for $3.00 each at a thrift store.  I pick up quilts any time, anywhere but prefer old ones that were gently used.  I am not one to leave them in the cabinet.  We bring them out and use them all the time.



The one bathroom in the house had to be redone completely so we added black and white tile on the floor, new bath tub, sink and fixtures.  The walls had some thick black stuff under the plasterboard so it all had to go.  New walls and some old hunting pictures I bought at an estate sale complete the bathroom.    See below for the new half bath we added.

Our dining room and living room are separated by glass french doors.  The lanterns on the table are sometimes used on the steps outside when we're having company.




When the house was moved, we had to do away with an old three-sided fireplace that had been closed up for years.  When they took the fireplace out, we realized the hole left was big enough for a small guest bathroom.  The contractor that put it in matched the beadboard in the bathroom to the rest of the house using salvaged wood from another area.  You probably recognize Lilly and Sunny in the pictures on the wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment