Monday, March 26, 2012

No Till Garden - I like the way that sounds!

I read an article recently in Mother Earth News written by a guy that has done gardens for 30 years and even written books on gardening.  He told about no till gardening and I thought I might try it this year.  According to him, you lay wet newspaper down on the ground and plant through them.  The wet newspaper smothers the grass and weeds underneath and they rot in place along with the newspaper itself.  Then you lay out your paths with mulch and planting beds with compost.  I started to lay the newspaper out yesterday, but of course the wind picked up so that's why I decided to go and get the pavers.  I drew out the garden I wanted and figured out how big each plot would be, small enough to reach into the middle for any random weeds they may live to spite me, but big enough to plant several things.   I will show you each step as I do it.  Here is the beginning of my garden this year.  Just getting started.  I plan on laying out the wet newspapers in the morning.  We'll see how that goes.  I hope I don't go to all this trouble and end up with nothing but weeds. 


It doesn't look like anything yet, but just wait!  We did actually get the fruit trees planted.  We got 3 peach, 2 pear, 1 plum, 1 fig and a blackberry bush.  I planted them so that it will eventually be a walkway to the garden from the house.  The garden is where the 2x4s are laying in the distance.  We have a red shed up at the front of the property we haven't been using so I'm hoping to get Fred to drag it or pick it up and put it at the end of the garden so it can be my potting shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment