Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ready for Spring!

Come join me on the porch swing!


I admit it, I'm one of those people who, in the middle of the summer, start complaining about how unbearably hot it is and wish for winter to come, only to start complaining about the cold mid-winter and can't wait for spring.  I pour over garden magazines and sketch flowerbeds on scratch paper in anticipation of warmer weather.  To be honest, the weather here in South Carolina is one of the reasons we moved back here from South Florida.  We loved living in the Fort Lauderdale area when the kids were younger and have done our share of sailing and windsurfing, but after years of wearing shorts on Christmas day, I longed for the change of seasons.  South Carolina has hot sticky summers and cold winters so it's a little bit of everything and I like that.  Not to mention we had family here that we wanted to live closer to. 

I was at the store the other day and couldn't help but walk through the garden area and wanted to buy everything that was in bloom or just about to bloom.  I don't want to jump the gun and plant lots of things only to get one more cold front, but I did buy lots of small plants for the window boxes at the cookhouse.  I can always bring them in if it's going to get cold again, but at least I can dig in the dirt and make something pretty for now.  I also bought lots of flowers seeds to start now and plant outside later.  I didn't have a lot of luck planting seeds outside last year, so I'll try starting them inside first this year and maybe have better luck.  The ultimate optimist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment