Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Compost Pile and The Burn Barrel

I love my compost pile and burn barrel.  There, I said it.

Garbage is one of those things we all have but don't think too much about.  When we lived in Charleston, we had garbage pickup and recycling bins and that's just the way it was, but it always bothered me that our garbage was contributing to the huge landfills.  Out here we do not have garbage pickup which is okay with me. 

I like the idea of recycling our garbage.  We throw scraps of food into the compost pile along with grass cuttings and the occasional shovel of horse or chicken poop, which makes great compost for gardens.  The chickens wander over there when they are out and eat some of the food scraps too.   We use the burn barrel to burn any paper garbage, not including newspaper or magazines.  Holly Hill has recycle stations in the back of City Hall so I take plastic bottles, metal and aluminium cans and newspapers once every couple of weeks there.   This means that all I have to take to the dump occasionally is glass bottles, spray cans, paint cans, things that can't be put in the burn barrel which is not much at all.  I love the fact that we are not contributing tons of garbage to a landfill every year.  We are recycling the compost bin back to the earth and feeding our animals with scraps as well.  No papers with our personal information make it to a dump site either.

It's all part of being greener and I like that.  It doesn't hurt that Fred enjoys burning stuff in the barrel too.

No comments:

Post a Comment