Thursday, March 15, 2012

I Used to be Cute ~

I look in the mirror and see someone else.  An older woman who doesn't look much like me.  She has wrinkles and her hair is short and odd.  Not at all like I thought I would look when I was younger.

I was one of those girls who loved the beach, laying in the sun for hours cooking myself with suntan lotion with a 4 spf or none at all.  I can't blame anyone else for the wrinkles I now have.  My hair was bleached by the sun each summer and I didn't even consider exercising back then. 

Fortunately for me, my daughter has moved back to the Charleston area and she will whip me back into shape.  She has great taste and will guide me into my later years gracefully.  She has told me that I should think "Ralph Lauren Country" when shopping for clothes.  When she's not around, I tend to lean towards less flattering clothes that look more like what my husband should be wearing, not me.  I'm so thankful for having a daughter to help me.   She knows what looks good on me and what doesn't and she is good at telling me which is which without hurting my feelings.  She makes me try on clothes I wouldn't normally reach for in the store and yet they always look better than anything I would choose.   I also did not get the "accessory gene."  Luckily she's good at that too. 

As far as the wrinkles go, I will try and start using creams that reduce the appearance of wrinkles, but honestly I still love the feeling of the sun on my face and don't wear a hat when I should.  I need to start exercising again and I'm trying to grow my hair out so there's not much Heather can do about that, but I'll definitely be dressing better!

Maybe I can still be cute . . . for my age!  It's worth a try.



2 comments:

  1. Kay don't be too hard on yourself. I think you look great! When it comes to me I shouldn't talk. You sound so much like me. I'm also thankful for having my daughter Andrea who likes to give me those helpful hints about style and fashion. So blessed to have her!
    You're probably right when it comes to wearing sunscreen, hats and those creams to help along with the wrinkles. I know I've had my fair share of the sun over the years. I still love being outside taking in the sun. However I like think that we are aging gracefully. Having our sweet daughters to give those helpful reminders can't hurt either. Thank you so much for sharing your blogs! I really enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing! I love hearing from others like me. Let's grow old gracefully and enjoying every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete