Friday, March 16, 2012

The Hoosier Cabinet

I wanted to share with you the story behind my hoosier cabinet.  It sits in my kitchen and reminds me of my family in Alabama.

I have always loved going to Monroeville, Alabama.  Since my mom and dad were from the same small town, we had lots of aunts, uncles and cousins as well as both sets of grandparents and great-grandparents in one area growing up.  I remember how my Grandma Petty would cook fried chicken, fresh vegetables and cornbread in the morning, then she and Grandaddy Petty would have it for lunch, cover it with a cloth during the day, then uncover it and have the same thing for dinner.  She had a hand pump in her kitchen when I was younger and an outhouse before adding a bathroom years later.  I was always afraid to go out to the outhouse, especially at night.  The thing I remember about my Granddaddy Petty most was that he always had Denteen chewing gum in his pocket for us.  Always!  I loved riding in his old pickup truck too.

Anyway, back to the hoosier cabinet.  When Fred and I first got married, we went for a visit.  My grandmother took us out to the old homestead where Great-Grandma and Papa Petty used to live.  The house was pretty empty and the roof was leaking in the kitchen area but we found this hoosier cabinet inside.  Grandma told us that it was a wedding gift for my great-grandmother so that was pretty special to me.  Fred was opening the drawers and doors, seeing what was inside.  There were some old empty jars in the top portion.  He opened the big bottom drawer and out popped a mouse!  Now picture this - my grandma was short and round and I was in high heels (not sure why now but I distinctly remember being in heels) and we were both jumping up and down, screaming.  The mouse was confused by all the screaming and jumping, and apparently tried to jump up on my grandmother's leg.  Fred was laughing so hard he almost cried.  The mouse ran out and upon further inspection, Fred found a nest of baby mice in the drawer.  He took the nest outside and put it in the woods.  Grandma told us we could have the cabinet if we wanted it.  We loaded it up and took it home with us, stripped it, painted it and have loved it all these years.  I used to tell Fred that if we were ever in a flood or hurricane, that would be the first thing on the truck.  It's not rare or an expensive piece of furniture, but it's part of my family history and when I look at it, I remember all the people that I love in Alabama and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment