Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Move to the Country

I guess I should back up and tell you a little bit about me and how we found this place.  We were living in Charleston and my brother-in-law and his wife had bought a farm out here where they had horses so we would come out here and ride once or twice a week with them.  We enjoyed it so much when we came out here, that each time we were more reluctant to go back to the city.  I have always loved small towns and the country so I started looking for a place to buy.  The house and 18 acres were being offered by a family through an estate and had not even been listed with a realtor.  We were told if we wanted to come see it, we should come right away so I left work and headed to Holly Hill.  My husband got here before me and as he stood in the backyard, looking out over the hay field, a deer ran across.  He was sold!  When I drove up to the house, saw the wrap around porch and pecan trees, I was sold!  I didn't even have to go inside to know I was home.  The house had been sitting empty for five years as the older gentleman that lived here had been in a nursing home, so the house needed updating but you could tell it was a solid house and "good bones".  We couldn't believe how lucky we were!  We bought it on the spot.  Fortunately for us and to our surprise, our house in Charleston sold right away.  We pulled up carpet, painted walls and completely gutted and redid the bathroom and kitchen.  Wiring and plumbing also had to be updated but we didn't care.  This house immediately felt like ours.  Everyone in town knew it as "Barney Flowers old house."  Everywhere I went, people would say "Oh, you are the ones that bought Barney Flowers old house."   I can't help but wonder when it will be "Fred and Kay's old house."

I had originally thought I wanted a big old plantation house and I even had my eye on one for sale, but you know what?  This house fits us just right.  It's not big or grand, it has cracks and holes and dirt on the floor most of the time from dogs and people tracking in and out, but it is perfect to me!  It has beadboard walls and ceilings, heart pine floors and big porches and we have tried to keep all the original woodwork, well, original.  The main thing we did with the house is move it from the road to the back of the hay field.    I will tell you all about that later.  I have pictures of the move too!

I can't help but thank God every day that I get to live out here.  I feel like the luckiest person in the world.  Holly Hill is not much to look at, but we wanted small town and that's what we got.  There is no feeling of trying to live up to the Jones out here.  I'm happy with what we have.  We have managed to buy more land so we now have 110 acres, but most of that is planted pines and some farm land.  We bought the land for our family and friends to come visit, stay in a little cabin or cottage in the woods if they want to, hunt a little, shoot a gun, ride of horse or just sit on the porch swing and just enjoy themselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment