Friday, February 17, 2012

The Longest Yard Sale

I talked my daughter-in-law into going on the Longest Yard Sale with me this past year.  We had never been before and were anxious for our big adventure.  It ended up raining off and on during our trip but we had a great time and got some really neat things.  We started in Alabama and worked our way up. 

We had no idea how far we would get each day so we did not make any reservations ahead of time.  On Friday we waited too late to start looking for a hotel so everybody was booked.  We found a Holiday Inn Express that had one room left and we told her we wanted it.  We offered to give her a credit card number over the phone to hold the room but she said she was too busy to take the number, just give me your name and I'll hold it.  We got there and she had already sold the room!  We were debating and laughing about sleeping in the car in the Walmart parking lot and I even went and bought a pillow and pillowcase.  We tried a few more hotels listed on the GPS in the area and found another place that had rooms available and only $60 a night.  When I told the gentleman on the phone that we wanted to book a room, he said "You do know this is a nudist resort, don't you?!"  I just about dropped the phone and said "nope, didn't know that."  Sarah texted her sister and Matt and asked them "Walmart parking lot or nudist resort?" and they both said nudist resort.  Luckily we found a B&B a little farther away and it was beautiful.  We had lots of laughs thinking about what we would have encountered at the nudist resort.  Maybe next year.

Here's a picture of Sarah with a big cotton basket she bought on the trip.  She also bought a baby crib, a vintage bowl set, two quilts and a funky lamp.  I bought two iron beds that I love.


By the way, Alabama and Tennessee - you are beautiful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment