Friday, February 24, 2012

2 a.m.

Yep, that's what time it was.  I sat straight up in the bed last night because the dogs were all barking and jumping around.  My husband was out of town so I got up and looked out the window, figuring the wind had knocked something over on the porch.  There they were - the donkeys out doing what can only be called "frolicking" in the backyard.  They were running in circles and jumping up and down like they had won the lottery, but they had won something even more exciting . . . freedom! 

I put on my boots and a sweater, grabbed a flashlight and took off out the backdoor.  When I got outside I saw that the entire side of the electric fence, both wires, were completely down and on the ground.  Just as I got out there, Daisy and Blue, the two horses in the same pen, casually walked out and took off into the hay field.. 

Now is the time to pat myself on the back.  I didn't panic and call one of the neighbors to help, even though I know they would have gotten dressed and come to help me.  I simply tied the fence on as best as I could, got a feed bucket with some sweet feed  and calmly walked out to Lilly and Sunny like it was the middle of the day, tempted them with the feed and they followed me back into the pen.  Next was Blue, then Daisy.  I am sure Fred will laugh at my fence repairs but I'm just glad I could handle it myself.

To tell you the truth, the air was cool and the stars were out, so it was actually really nice being outside in the middle of the night.  If I had a bed on the back porch, it would have been a perfect night to sleep there.  I need to put that on my list of projects.  A sleeping porch.  On Fred's list?  Rewire the fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment