Monday, May 7, 2012

Is That Your Snake?

I was driving down a long country backroad on the way to my brother-in-law's farm one day and I saw a snake (yes, another snake story - sorry!) in the road so I stopped right beside it to look at it up close.  No one else was around and I was in no hurry to get anywhere so I was just enjoying  looking at it from the safety of my car window when all of a sudden an SUV drove past me and ran over the snake.  I was shocked and disappointed but instead of driving away, the SUV stopped a little farther down, backed up and stopped right beside me.  A woman rolled her window down and said, "Oh I'm so sorry.  Is that your snake?"  I told her no, I was just looking at it and she drove off. 

I sat there for a minute thinking about what she had said.  My snake?  Did she think I was taking my pet snake out for a drive in the country with it's head out the window and it fell out? 

Every time I see a snake in the road I think about that day and smile. 

Ah, country life!

2 comments: