Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Garden Helper

My husband Fred is wonderful.  He helps me with anything I need but when he's out of town, my garden helper is Fred's dog Diesel.  This is a good and bad thing.  Let me explain.

Diesel loves to dig.  He doesn't dig holes randomly all over the yard like some dogs do but he will dig anywhere you point your finger to the ground.  He's pretty amazing and people love to watch him dig, then stick his nose in the hole as far as he get cram it, sniff, then dig again.  He will bite the dirt around the hole to get the roots and everything.  I went out to the garden area yesterday to plant some loofa plants around the fence and gate.  They climb and have beautiful white flowers.  Anyway, as I was trying to dig the hole, Diesel stepped in so I let him dig for me.  The only problem with this team work is that he doesn't know when the stop.  In fact, you have a hard time getting him to stop.  He gets this intense look on his face, like his life depends on the digging.  I told Fred a long time ago he is one of those dogs that needs a job.  He would be great at going to disaster areas and sniffing out people in the rubble.  Yeah, he's that good.


After the holes were done (and I filled some dirt back in), I was able to put the plants in and move on to the next job. 

I had a load of compost in the bucket of the tractor that I needed to shovel into the last two remaining plots of the garden, but as I was shoveling, Diesel decided he needed to inspect the compost and dove in.  I'm not sure what he thought he would find, but he had compost dirt everywhere.  He was sticking his face into the dirt so far, I don't know how he was breathing.  When he would pop back out, he had dirt up his nose, in his mouth and eyes.  Finding no treasures, he wandered over and layed on top of the loofa plants I had just planted. 





Now, the question is - If a woman screams at the top of her lungs in the country and no one is around, does she make a sound?  Yes, yes she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment