Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Biggest Fear

I know people are afraid of different things.  Some people are afraid of spiders.  I knew a woman one time that was afraid of frogs, another woman lizards.  I thought that was pretty funny because I don't have a problem catching and releasing either one of those things.  I don't like snakes or mice, but after being startled by them, I get over it.  But there is one thing that just completely unglues me and I saw one this weekend. 

I was cleaning out the shed where Fred has his tools, horse feed, chicken feed, saddles, etc. I wanted to reorganize it for him while he was away so I worked on it for two days.  There were dirt dobbers flying in and out but no snakes or mice.  Since there is an opening for a window but no glass, I realize anything can get in there so I was careful to keep my eye out.  I shifted something on a shelf, and there it was.  Now, people in the South like to refer to them as palmetto bugs, it just sounds nicer, but frankly it's still a roach.  The big, flying kind.  That, my friends, is my biggest fear.  I can rationalize pretty much anything else, but all common sense goes straight out the window when I see one.  I screamed and almost fell over backwards trying to get away from it.  Yes, I know how crazy this sounds to most people but I can't help it.  Anyway, when I screamed Diesel came charging through the door to save me.  I know he probably thought I had been bit by a snake, rabid raccoon or something, but he saw the roach come out from behind the shelves and jumped on it.  That's another thing about roaches.  They never just die, they squirm and try to run off again, but luckily Diesel stayed on him and finally killed him.  I swept the mangled roach out the door, and kissed Diesel on the head.  He was my hero for the day.  After that, every time I made any sound at all he came in to check on me.  He probably thinks I'm nuts, but I don't care as long as he's there when I need him.

I know living in the South with woods all around me, I'm going to see them and no matter how many times I do come across one, I'm still going to have a melt down.  At least I know if Diesel is around, he'll take care of it.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go spray my flowerbeds for bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment