Friday, June 15, 2012

Meet Daisy

If you were to drive by our place, you'd see a horse that you might think was neglected, even abused but looks can be deceiving.  Her name is Daisy and she was my first horse.  Let me share her story with you.

When I was working at a law firm, a woman there told me about a horse she was trying to get rid of.  She had gotten this horse online for her young daughter but when the horse arrived, it was lame.  The guy that brought the horse to her had left her in the horse trailer for 3 solid days.  He didn't let her out to go to the bathroom, stretch her legs or anything so when she arrived, she could barely walk.  Her young daughter wanted a horse that she could gallop and jump with so this was not the horse she dreamed of.  Her mother just wanted to recoup her money and buy another horse.  My heart went out to this horse that had come so far and nobody wanted.  After telling Fred her story, we decided to buy her.  Whether she was ever able to be ridden or not, she deserved a place in the sun where she could live out her life being loved and cared for.

We were still living in the city at the time but my brother-in-law and his wife had a farm out here and we asked them if she could live on their farm until we found a place.  At the time Fred and I were going out to their farm and riding horses once or twice a week.  I did not grow up riding horses like my husband did, so I needed a horse that was easy to ride, slow and steady and really didn't care if we galloped or not.  Once we got her strong enough to ride, she was perfect for me.  She is a sweet, gentle horse that anyone could ride.  We tracked down some history on her and found out that when she was younger, she was a trail horse that would go anywhere.  She was ridden by a man that did long, long rides and even hunted off of her so she had already had an amazing life.  Now, in her senior years, she and I would enjoy a slower pace.  I was able to ride her for a few years and enjoyed every minute of it.

Daisy, however, is what you might call a "hard keep".  Her teeth don't line up anymore and she has a hard time keeping weight on.  She actually eats twice as much as any of the other horses, along with supplements and extra treats, but she looks like she's starving to death.  We have the vet and farrier out regularly and she gets all the care she needs.  We actually would be worried about Animal Control seeing her and thinking she was abused, but our other horses and donkeys are obviously well cared for and fed.  I don't ride her anymore because I wouldn't want to do anything to hurt her.  We  occassionally put a child on her and walk them around but she is spoiled and that's the way she will be until the end. 

Meet Daisy ~





No comments:

Post a Comment